Vatican Removes Its Envoy to Dominican Republic / The New York Times

The authorities in the Dominican Republic said they would look into rumors of child sexual abuse involving the papal envoy there after he was abruptly removed from his post by the Vatican. The nation’s attorney general, Francisco Domínguez Brito, said Wednesday (Sept. 4) that his office had not received any accusations about the papal nuncio, Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, and was aware only of rumors. A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, confirmed that Archbishop Wesolowski had been removed from his post a few weeks ago and that the church was conducting an investigation of him. He declined to provide any further details. Pope Francis in July approved legislation criminalizing child sexual abuse and other sexual crimes. It applies to Vatican employees as well as diplomatic staff members. The location of Archbishop Wesolowski, who is 65, was unknown. A woman at the nuncio’s office in Santo Domingo said no one was available to comment. By Associated Press in The New York Times

Advertisements

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

  1. Leave a comment

Comment here

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: